Mashup

So I decided to do a mashup in photoshop instead of with film or music.  I did it after seeing a video on an artist who did a piece with a sunken ship on a pile of ‘defect’ sculptures from a workshop.  He pointed out that they were almost all images of icons, and if you looked at each one they still looked perfect but were considered not good enough for sale.  He picked one of them out of the pile and put it on a shelf in his studio and suddenly instead of being one sculpture out of many, it became an icon again.

So I found it interesting the difference between seeing a pile of like items, they all become ‘worthless’, but if you take one out of the pile it stands on its own.  I used one of my own photographs(tin man in the teacup) and put the icons in it.

6 Responses to “Mashup”

1. […] over the last week or so. One of my favorites is the example that Jim put on the asssignmnet post (http://gephy.umwblogs.org/2010/11/09/mashup/). I love how the author/creator incorporated so many different elements, and tied all of them […]

2. anagahama says:

I think i’m going to do a photoshop mash up too

3. Brandon Robenson says:

This was a very interesting concept

4. […] Stephanie’s photographic mashup […]

5. […] I agreed. And I am glad I did, I love the way Stephanie frames this conceptual art piece for us in her post framing the piece. I did it after seeing a video on an artist who did a piece with a sunken ship on a pile of […]

6. Claire says:

I read your description of the artists’ piece several times but honestly, I don’t get it. I think this was the most confusing part:

“He pointed out that they were almost all images of icons, and if you looked at each one they still looked perfect but were considered not good enough for sale. He picked one of them out of the pile and put it on a shelf in his studio and suddenly instead of being one sculpture out of many, it became an icon again.”

Can you clarify what this means and how it’s a mash-up?